Did you know that sealing and insulating your home is one of the most cost-effective ways to make a home more comfortable and energy efficient? It is a project that is also easily done yourself. The heating and cooling of your home accounts for about 50 percent to 70 percent of the energy used. So unless your home was built as an energy-efficient home, adding insulation will probably reduce your utility bills. Even a small amount of insulation-if properly installed-can reduce energy costs dramatically.
Energy Star has created a comprehensive do-it-yourself guide to sealing and insulating your home. The guide provides step by step instructions and photos to:
1.Learn how to find and seal hidden attic and basement air leaks
2.Determine if your attic insulation is adequate, and learn how to add more
3.Make sure your improvements are done safely
4.Reduce energy bills and help protect the environment
Click here to download the guide.
Make sure to check your state and local codes before starting any project and follow all safety precautions.
Contact Me | My Website
- Easthampton honors war dead on Memorial Day May 26, 2015Retired U.S. Army Colonel Paul Barabani spoke at Easthampton's 2015 Memorial Day ceremony. Barabani is superintendent of the Holyoke Soldiers' Home. […]
- Boston water main break disrupts telecommunication services for thousands throughout Massachusetts May 25, 2015Update: 2 p.m.; Westfield police and Tufts Medical Center report telephone service has been restored. Telephone service has also been restored at The Republican SPRINGFIELD - A broken water main in Boston has disrupted high-speed Internet and telephone services for some 10,000 Windstream customers throughout the state, a spokesman said. […]
- Westfield police: Department's primary non-emergency line may be down for most of day May 25, 2015WESTFIELD -- The Westfield Police Department's primary non-emergency telephone line was down Monday and residents are urged to use an alternate number to report any non-life-threatening issues. […]
- Memorial to motorcyclist and veteran killed in Westfield crash believed stolen May 22, 2015Composite image of the roadside memorial to motorcyclist Edward Nied. The memorial is missing and believed stolen. […]
- Agawam marks Memorial Day with parade, ceremony May 25, 2015Agawam officials and the police and fire departments followed veterans walking and riding from the Agawam Middle School and Town Hall to a wreath laying ceremony at Veterans' Green next to the Benjamin Phelps Elementary School. The Agawam High School band provided the main musical spirit. […]
- Theme parks turning aging coasters into new thrill rides May 23, 2015In this photo taken Saturday, May 16, 2015, and provided by Six Flags New England, people ride the Wicked Cyclone in Agawam, Mass. A handful of roller coasters are reopening this year after undergoing extensive rehabs. […]
- Lightning cause of blaze that heavily damaged roof of Springfield Street home in Agawam May 22, 2015AGAWAM -- Lightning was the cause of a blaze that caused extensive damage to a vacant Springfield Street home Tuesday night , fire officials said. Several people reported hearing lightning strike in the area of 394 Springfield St. shortly before the blaze was reported about 10 p.m., Fire Inspector Jacob Dushane said. […]
- Senate OKs refund for electricity ratepayers hit by fees May 22, 2015Hundreds of area utility customers socked with retroactive charges on their electric bills this winter after switching to a competitive supplier might not be out of the money after all. […]
- Holyoke Memorial Day speaker John Paradis appreciates each day May 25, 2015Brian Willette, of South Hadley, commander of the Military Order of the Purple Heart Western Massachusetts Chapter 875, left, participated in Holyoke's Memorial Day celebration Monday at Veterans' Park with his father, William Willette, 80, of West Springfield, a Marine Corps veteran, in red cap. ) HOLYOKE -- Every day, John Paradis marvels at the […]
- 'He hasn't had a license in 30 years,' Springfield man's lawyer tells judge May 23, 2015Over his lawyer's objections, Kilpatrick pleaded guilty to operating with a suspended license and using a motor vehicle without authority during a plea-change hearing before Judge Matthew Shea . At a prosecutor's request, Shea sentenced the defendant to 30 days in jail for using a motor vehicle without authority and 10 days for operating with a sus […]
- Photos: Arabian Horse Club of Connecticut opens 43rd annual horse show May 23, 2015Organized 45 years ago to "promote, encourage, and stimulate interest in the outstanding qualities of the Arabian and Half-Arabian horse," the Arabian Horse Club of Connecticut has opened its 43rd annual horse show on the grounds of the Big E in West Springfield. […]
- West Springfield police identify victim of fatal hit and run as Springfield man, 22 May 13, 2015WEST SPRINGFIELD - Police have identified the pedestrian killed in a hit-and-run early Friday morning as 22-year-old Victor Leonardo of Somerset Street in Springfield . Capt. […]