Did you know that sealing and insulating your home is one of the most cost-effective ways to make a home more comfortable and energy efficient? It is a project that is also easily done yourself. The heating and cooling of your home accounts for about 50 percent to 70 percent of the energy used. So unless your home was built as an energy-efficient home, adding insulation will probably reduce your utility bills. Even a small amount of insulation-if properly installed-can reduce energy costs dramatically.
Energy Star has created a comprehensive do-it-yourself guide to sealing and insulating your home. The guide provides step by step instructions and photos to:
1.Learn how to find and seal hidden attic and basement air leaks
2.Determine if your attic insulation is adequate, and learn how to add more
3.Make sure your improvements are done safely
4.Reduce energy bills and help protect the environment
Click here to download the guide.
Make sure to check your state and local codes before starting any project and follow all safety precautions.
Contact Me | My Website
- Photos, video: 104th Fighter Wing holds party for security forces returned from Southwest Asia August 1, 2015The 104th Fighter Wing at Barnes Air National Guard base in Wesfield held a welcome home ceremony for over 30 members of their security forces who returned home in May after a deployment to Southwest Asia. There were plenty of jokes tossed out from the podium, but everyone involved knew the serious undertone of the day. […]
- Cat found with paws bound with zip ties on Westfield riverbank July 29, 2015A rescued cat is resting comfortably in the Westfield animal shelter after it was found with its paws bound by a zip-tie on the bank of the Westfield River, in what an official described as a clear-cut act of animal cruelty. Two men fishing on the river Tuesday afternoon called animal control when they spotted a cat with its front legs bound, Westfield Anima […]
- Rise Against and Killswitch Engage rock out in downtown Las Vegas in November July 28, 2015Gritty punk rockers Rise Against bring the party to the Downtown Las Vegas Events Center with a show on Saturday, Nov. 21. The rockers will be supported by metalcore group Killswitch Engage with Letlive as the opening act. Rise Against, the 16-year-old band out of Chicago, sold more than four million albums with their past four releases. […]
- Springfield police seek missing teen Maia Spruell; last seen in West Springfield, Northampton July 27, 2015Maia Spruell, 16, of Springfield, went missing Friday, according to her parents. She was last seen in Northampton and West Springfield. […]
- Two women face civil rights violations after attacking lesbian couple at Six Flags New England July 31, 2015AGAWAM -- Two women were arrested Wednesday after allegedly attacking and injuring a lesbian couple they observed kissing at Six Flags New England, according to Agawam Police. Damarielys Mukhtar, 29, of Springfield and Nikia L. Butt, 27, of Holyoke were arraigned in Westfield District Court Thursday on charges of assault and battery and a civil rights violat […]
- 'Recovery operation' ongoing at scene of construction... July 31, 2015LONGMEADOW -- A large number of emergency personnel were summoned to Hazardville Road in Longmeadow on Friday morning after a construction accident involving a trench. Crane said the accident occurred about 7:45 a.m. inside a trench at the corner of Tedford Drive and that the recovery operation would take several hours to ensure the ditch relating to ongoing […]
- Agawam boys raise funds to help veterans through Wounded Warrior Project July 29, 2015AGAWAM -It was more than a little magic that made this donation to Wounded Warrior Project appear. It was the idea, compassion and action of two Agawam boys and the support of family and neighbors that made possible this $60 donation to the organization with a mission to honor and empower wounded veterans. […]
- Agawam High School's $7.5M track, sports facilities construction project delayed July 27, 2015AGAWAM -- Mayor Richard Cohen would like to put a town rumor to rest: The major expansion and renovation of Agawam High School's athletics facilities isn't shelved -- it's just delayed. "I look forward to this project getting started," Cohen told MassLive on Monday. […]
- 'Recovery operation' ongoing at scene of construction... August 1, 2015LONGMEADOW -- A large number of emergency personnel were summoned to Hazardville Road in Longmeadow on Friday morning after a construction accident involving a trench. Crane said the accident occurred about 7:45 a.m. inside a trench at the corner of Tedford Drive and that the recovery operation would take several hours to ensure the ditch relating to ongoing […]
- 'International' Kielbasa Festival moving from Chicopee to Big E grounds July 31, 2015A sign with the past largest kielbassa records ending in 1995 during the last day of the Kielbasa Festival in Chicopee Sunday May 18, 2014. Chicopee's Kielbasa Festival will be part of a larger cultural event when it moves to the Big E grounds in West Springfield next spring. […]
- Palmer woman accused of stealing over $10K from victims including Connecticut car dealership July 31, 2015SPRINGFIELD - A Palmer woman has been charged with stealing more than $10,000 from two people and a Connecticut car dealership where she worked. Megan E. Brogle, 27, was arrested last week by West Springfield police on a fugitive warrant and returned to Connecticut to face larceny and forgery charges. […]
- Selectmen discuss business licenses for Hooters restaurant July 30, 2015Marc Phaneuf, Jr. and Daniel Gadbois appeared at a public hearing before the Shrewsbury Board of Selectmen July 28, seeking a Common Victualler's License and an All Alcoholic Beverage Pouring License for a new Hooters Restaurant to be located at the site of the former Chili's Restaurant at 291 Boston Turnpike Rd. Phaneuf's company, Phancon, In […]